One thing that is a constant in the publishing world is waiting.
There is always something.
When you're querying agents, you're waiting on responses.
When you on submission to editors, you're waiting on responses.
When your book has sold, you're waiting on the editorial letter.
When edits are done, you're waiting and wondering about the cover.
When the book is basically done, you're waiting on professional reviews.
When the book is out in the world, you're waiting and wondering about sales and readers' reactions.
I am not kidding when I say it never, ever ends!
So you have to find a way to deal with it. Here are my top ten ways of dealing with the waiting.
10. Snuggle with your pet(s) and tell them all your worries.
9. Bake yummy things
8. Go do something fun, like float on the river. Unless it's February. Because, well, not fun.
7. Play Cards Against Humanity with friends (if you are over 18). You will forget everything in life and laugh your face off, and it will be glorious. Since I'm a decent human being (most of the time) I picked a clean one for the sake of the children.
6. Search out quotes and post them on social media. Why? Because it's fun to play with the apps, that's why.
5. Go for walks and take photos of pretty flowers. Unless it's February. Then stay inside and drink hot cocoa and scroll through your feed and remember days gone by and the pretty flowers. Actually, if it's February, just get on a plane and go to Hawaii.
4. Write a blog post and search out fun gifs. Like the following:
3. Watch a really good TV series. Personally, I've really enjoyed Rectify and Mr. Robot this summer. And good grief, if you haven't watched Friday Night Lights, what are you waiting for???
2 . Keep writing. Always keep writing.
1. All of this is to basically say, don't sit around waiting. Get on with your life!